This quick and easy low carb keto recipe is delicious for breakfast or snacking throughout the day, and perfect for on the go!
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean Sausage, browned and drained (I like the hot variety)
- 1/3 cup coconut flour (heaping)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 4.5 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder (optional, but I love garlic!)
- Melt the butter, and then place it in the refrigerator to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a large baking sheet with non-stick foil or parchment paper.
- Brown and drain the sausage, chopping it into small chunks; set aside.
- In a medium to large size bowl, combine the melted and cooled butter, eggs, sour cream, salt and garlic. Whisk together.
- Add the coconut flour (slightly more than 1/3 cup) and baking powder to the mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Stir in the browned sausage and cheese.
- Roll or drop batter into 1 inch balls onto your lined baking sheet. I make 35 and they fit perfectly (5 rows of 7). They only need to be about 1/2 inch apart.
- Bake for 14-18 minutes or until slightly browned. Enjoy immediately, and store any leftovers in the fridge for up to a week.
- Although a little drier, 1/2 cup or more of coconut flour will give you more of a bread-like texture which is kind of nice when you haven't had bread in ages! The 1/3 cup that the recipe calls for makes them super moist and hearty. It's really just a personal preference.
- I've had a lot of questions about using almond flour in place of the coconut flour. Although I haven't tried it, you would need to triple or even quadruple the amount of almond flour, so plan on using a cup or more if you're substituting.