A hearty breakfast platter including some combination of sausage, eggs, and cheese is the best comfort food to start the day. If you add in southern style sawmill gravy and English muffins you have what may be the best breakfast comfort food ever!
- 1 Package of English Muffins
- 8 oz Mild Cheddar Cheese thin sliced
- 8 Eggs
- 1 lb Breakfast Sausage
- 2 cups Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1/4 cup sausage drippings add butter if you don't have enough drippings
- 1/4 cup flour
- Cook meat in cast iron pan until well done. Remove from pan and pour off all but 1/4 cup of fat.
- To the meat drippings in the skillet, add the flour. Cook and stir over medium heat 5 to 10 minutes or until mixture starts to turn golden. (This burns away the raw flour flavor which must be done before liquid is introduced)
- Slowly add milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook gravy until it boils and thickens.
- Lightly toast English Muffins in toaster while making gravy.
- Scramble eggs in a non-stick skillet, add a small dash of milk to make them fluffier, if desired.
- Turn oven broiler on high and assemble pizzas on baking sheet.
- Add sawmill gravy to the open faced toasted English Muffin then top with scrambled eggs, slice of cheese and sausage.
- Toast under broiler until cheese is bubbly and melted.